***We are accepting applications on a rolling basis*** Have you ever dreamt about working in a garden and organising sustainability projects? Or have you ever had the desire to work in a fun, outgoing, creative and multinational team with lots of experience in the field of international youth work? If any of the above is true for you, then we might have the perfect opportunity for you!
Dates: Ideally from January 2023 – January 2024 (starting/ending dates can be adapted/extended)
Location: Bremen, Germany
We are looking for one motivated volunteer to join our team!
We are a youth organisation that is focused on international youth work. We organize between 8-10 Youth Exchanges and 2-3 training courses per year, and we are sending young people on many international projects abroad. We are also the coordinating organization for volunteering opportunities – that means that we are organising voluntary services in Bremen and also send German youngsters abroad. Our office is located in Bremen, but we organize our projects in our KulturHaus in Garlstedt, which is close to Osterholz-Scharmbeck and 30 min by car from Bremen.
Our local and international projects aim to encourage and support young people through non-formal learning opportunities, especially focusing on the topics of interculturalism, tolerance, diversity and understanding among the different cultures in Europe. We are also organizing local events in Bremen and extending our network in the area by cooperating with other organizations and institutions.
So, who’s on our team? You can find out here!
And what have we been up to in the past 10 years? That’s what you can read here.
Your project: KulturHaus & Sustainability Volunteer
The main goal – to help us turn our youth house garden into a green paradise and make our maintenance of the house more sustainable!
- Helping to maintain the garden and house especially in spring and summer – KulturHaus is our beautiful youth house, which is located ca. 30 min by bus from your volunteer house in the middle of a forest. This means for example: taking care of the plants, watering them, weeding out the flower beds, planting new plants.
- Focus on development of your own ideas in the garden and around the house – previous volunteer projects were i.e. a compost, bird houses, raised bed gardens etc., as well as workshops on sustainability and DIY projects.
- Helping us develop a strategy for a more sustainable use of the house – i.e. helping with different projects/initiatives inside and outside the house, establishing connections with neighbors and local farms, …
- Working together with the team members in all areas of NaturKultur e.V. and especially with our other three volunteers in Social Media, Content Creation and Local Community Connections.
- Organizing small local projects for the community of Bremen together with the other 14 ESC volunteers in Bremen.
To get a better idea of what this position entails, you can read previous volunteers reports:
To give you an impression of possible tasks and projects, you can check:
- Sustainability map: https://www.naturkultur.eu/en/sustainable-map-of-bremen/
- Recycling day video: https://fb.watch/dFAvnHL6-k/
- Raised bed DIY video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A3AG4YvBEg
- DIY cleaning supplies: https://fb.watch/dFAqtotpu6/
Who are we looking for? A person who is passionate about nature and DIY – you do not need to have previous experience, just be open and motivated to try new things!
Important to know: We work 3 days together in the office per week, otherwise remotely. Our team does not only live in Bremen but also in other parts of Germany or abroad. This is why we have a very special working culture, being very different from many other organisations. This is why we are looking for someone who likes to work independently. This is a project where self-initiative and implementation of own ideas is encouraged and developed and we will help you to learn everything you need, to become even more independent throughout the project.
Our organisation, NaturKultur Bremen e.V., will be the coordinating organisation in charge of all logistical matters.
You will be accommodated in a flat or a house in Bremen with 3-4 other ESC volunteers. You will have your private bedroom and share the kitchen, bathroom and other spaces in the flat/house with other volunteers.
Bremen is a city in North-West Germany (around 500.000 inhabitants), not far from Hamburg and the North Sea coast. Bremen is a vibrant, multi-cultural city with a lot of young people and both a historical centre and newer areas of towns.
As an ESC volunteer, you will receive health insurance, monthly pocket money for food and other expenses (246€ + 150€).
Travel costs will be reimbursed depending on the travel distance (normally between 180-360€).
You will be supported by a Coordinator and a Mentor to help you get settled in your work place and the city of Bremen. You can also attend our German conversation class of at least 1 hour per week.
But – how is it to volunteer in Bremen?
You can check out our Instagram Account @volunteersofbremen
And if you’d rather watch a video – here you can check out some stories from our volunteers.
Or find out more about Maria, who was volunteering in a school in Bremen.
You can apply, if you…
- … are a resident of an EU Country (not Germany) or a partner country
- … are between 18-30 years old (on the day you start your ESC)
- … can communicate in English (A2-B1) OR German (A2) and are willing to improve your language skills in German and English. Our NaturKultur team in Bremen speaks English, German, Macedonian, and Slovenian.
- … are interested in gardening, hands-on work, and love both team work and doing your own thing
- … love to be creative and are passionate about making a positive change in society
- … have patience and care about helping other people grow
- … are an open-minded person, motivated to work in a team and with people from different religious, cultural and social backgrounds
The European Solidarity Corps is financing the voluntary service. The mission of the ESC is to bring people from different backgrounds together to form a society based on mutual acceptance, solidarity and cohesion.
Sounds like your dream project? Apply below!
Application Deadline: We are accepting applications on a rolling basis