Do you live your life according to the phrase “Healthy mind in a healthy body”? Do you enjoy doing sports and are you interested in the concept of open youth work? If the answer is “Yes”, then this project is your chance – come to Bremen and support the youth center in their activities!
Dates: 29.04.2024 – 30.04.2025
Location: Bremen, Germany
Hosting Organisation: Jugendfreizeitheim Gröpelingen (Junge Stadt gGmbH)
About your hosting organisation and the tasks
Junge Stadt gGmbH is a non-profit organisation which supports children and young adults on their way to an independent and responsible life. It consists of two residential groups and two youth centers for youngsters between 10 and 25 years. The volunteering will take part in one of their youth centers, which is located in the district of Gröpelingen.
The main goal of Junge Stadt gGmbH is to encourage youngsters to be active, to participate in meaningful activites, research their interests and develop new skills in a safe space. Since Gröpelingen is a district with a very high immigration rate, the visitors of the center are very diverse. It is a place for youngsters from different cultures to connect, make friendships and break prejudices while doing sports, arts and crafts, gardening, fixing their bikes, creating music and partaking in trips and other leisure activities.
Next to a place to hang out they also offer a gym, outside sports areas, a garden, music studio and a bike repairing workshop.
As a volunteer you will have an opportunity to:
- Work in a multicultural group of experts from different areas.
- Learn more about youth work and experience it first handed in a youth center.
- Participate in fitness, soccer, parkour and boxing trainings and develop your own according to your interests.
- Help with music, arts&crafts, bike repairing and gardening workshops.
- Develop your own ideas and turn them into projects.
- Attend work camps, excursions and trips with the youngsters.
Your main tasks will include:
- Spending time with youngsters in the daily center.
- Supporting workers in sports related activities.
- Promoting being active and living a healthy lifestyle.
- Planning and implementing events together with the other volunteers for the community of Bremen
You do not need to have prior experience in youth work or sports education, as you will learn as you go along.
If you want to find out more, read the reports from the current volunteer Eva.
NaturKultur e.V will be the coordinating organization in charge of all logistical matters.
You will be accommodated in your own room a flat in Bremen with 4 other ESC volunteers.
Bremen is a city in North-West Germany (around 500.000 inhabitants), not far from Hamburg and the North Sea coast. It is a vibrant, multi-cultural city with a lot of young people and both a historical center and newer areas of towns.
As an ESC volunteer, you will receive health insurance, monthly pocket money for food and other expenses (266€ + 180€).Travel costs will be reimbursed depending on the travel distance (normally between 180-360€).
You will be supported by a Coordinator and a Mentor to help you get settled in your work place and the city of Bremen. You will also receive German language lessons of 1 hour per week.
But – how is it to volunteer in Bremen?
Here you can check out some stories from our volunteers.
Or find out more about Maria, who was volunteering in a school in Bremen.
You can apply, if you…
- … are a resident of an EU Country and do not need a visa for Germany.
- … between 18-30 years old (on the day you start your ESC)
- …are vaccinated against the measles and can provide a certificate of good conduct
- … can communicate in English (A2 or more) OR German (A2 or more) and/or are willing to improve your foreign language skills.
- … want to work with youngsters and are very open and approachable
- … are active and enjoy doing sports with other people
- … love to be creative and motivated about making a positive change in society
- … are an open-minded person, motivated to work in a team and with people from different religious, cultural and social backgrounds
If you have any questions, please check out our FAQ section.
If your questions has not been answered – get in touch with Lina: [email protected]
To apply, simply fill out the form below. The more information you give, the easier it will be for us to learn more about you. Please do not send any CV’s or motivation letters via mail.
Pictures: Junge Stadt gGmbH