*** Call closed!***
If you’ve always wanted to be in a real circus tent or try out working with children – then this ESC Voluntary Service is your chance – come to Bremen and support JOKES die Zirkusschule in their activities!
Dates: 25.10.2021 – 3o.09.2022
Location: Bremen, Germany
Hosting Organisation: Circus School JOKES
In collaboration with the Circus School JOKES, we are looking for one volunteer from an EU country!
About your hosting organisation and the tasks
Jokes die Circusschule e.V. was founded in 1998 and is a registered non-profit organisation since 2002. The organisation works primarily with children and young people, who are living in Huckelriede (Bremen), an area of town with an increased need for support. The organisation is a recognised organisation in the child and youth services, and receives funding from the social services (public child and youth services of Huckelriede), as well as financial support for educational purposes for the provision of education in schools across different parts of town. Jokes die Circusschule e.V. is a member of the LAG Zirkus Niedersachsen/Bremen union and the BAG Zirkus.
Since 2014, the Circusschule organises pedagogical circus activities and projects within the programme “Kultur macht stark”. As part of this programme, the organisation provides the network of trainers and the circus equipment, and generally takes care of the preparation, planning, implementation and evaluation of the coordinated projects.
Your tasks as a volunteer would include…
- Helping out in a variety of circus courses for children (age 4-14) in schools and in the circus tent
- Helping with the maintenance of the circus tent and area around it, the materials and the grounds (including a garden)
- Taking photos and videos during events and activities and establishing social media platforms to show the activities to other people in Bremen and beyond
- Coming up with your own ideas for small projects and activities within the circus
- Planning and implementing events together with the other volunteers for the community of Bremen
To get a better idea of what this position entails, you can read Rita’s report about her voluntary service: https://www.naturkultur.eu/en/rita-in-bremen-1st-report/
You do not need to have prior experience in social media skills, as you will learn as you go along. You should at least be familiar with the basics of circus artistry.
Our organisation, NaturKultur Bremen e.V., will be the coordinating organisation in charge of all logistical matters.
You will be accommodated in a flat or a house in Bremen with 3-4 other ESC volunteers. You will have your private bedroom and share the kitchen, bathroom and other spaces in the flat/house with other volunteers.
Bremen is a city in North-West Germany (around 500.000 inhabitants), not far from Hamburg and the North Sea coast. Bremen is a vibrant, multi-cultural city with a lot of young people and both a historical centre and newer areas of towns.
As an ESC volunteer, you will receive health insurance, monthly pocket money for food and other expenses (246€ + 150€).
Travel costs will be reimbursed depending on the travel distance (normally between 180-360€). Please note that you cannot apply if you need a visa/residence permit.
You will be supported by a Coordinator and a Mentor to help you get settled in your work place and the city of Bremen. You can also attend our German conversation class of at least 1 hour per week.
But – how is it to volunteer in Bremen?
You can check out our Instagram Account @volunteersofbremen
And if you’d rather watch a video – here’s Nikola’s story, who volunteered in another organisation Bremen in 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMKQLzeO2Fs
You can apply, if you…
- … are a resident of an EU Country (not Germany) and do not need a visa/residence permit
- … are between 18-30 years old (on the day you start your ESC)
- … have at least A2 level of understanding, speaking and reading German and are committed to improve your German during the year
- … are interested in circus activities, movement and sports, and have basic experience in circus activities
- … have a high level of motivation and readiness to work with different age groups
- … have patience and are a positive person
In short, this ESC project will give you the opportunity to learn and gain experience in a new professional environment, develop your self-awareness and knowledge about people with different backgrounds, learn more about a new culture and language, find your strengths and interests in an unforgettable, unique year in Bremen!The European Solidarity Corps is financing the voluntary service. The mission of the ESC is to bring people from different backgrounds together to form a society based on mutual acceptance, solidarity and cohesion.
This year, the ESC programme was delayed because of political decision making processes in Brussels. That means that our organisation will know in August 2021, if this voluntary service will be funded. The chances are very high that it will be funded, but we can sign the contract with you only in the end of August.
Application Deadline: 19.07.2021 – This call has been closed!