***call closed*** As a volunteer for Kulturzentrum Schlachthof e.V., you would join one of the biggest and diverse cultural centres of Bremen and help out with workshops for children and young people in theatre, media and music, while also helping the team backstage with their wide range of events.
Dates: 01.05.2022 – 30.04.2023 (12 months)
Location: Bremen, Germany
Hosting Organization: Kulturzentrum Schlachthof e.V.
About the hosting organization
Kulturzentrum Schlachthof e.V. is a very big cultural organisation in Bremen (North-West Germany). The centre provides a space for young artists, musicians and actors to develop their skills and grow, for example through providing courses and workshops for children and young people in a variety of arts, or giving their professional stage to upcoming artists. The centre also frequently hosts top-class musicians, authors and artists, who attract big audiences. On a bi-monthly level, Kulturzentrum Schlachthof also publishes the cultural magazine “Z”, produced in their newspaper team.
Located in the former slaughterhouse of Bremen, a huge building with industrial design, the organisation also provides professional training in stage and event tech. In the garden, the organisation frequently hosts outdoor concerts and events, and the neighbouring skating park is a popular place among the young people of the city.
As a volunteer, you would become a part of their big, self-governed team that is divided into smaller subteams, for example the team that works with children in a theatre group, the media team that provides courses for young people in videography, and the music team that organises bandcamps of upcoming amateur musicians of Bremen. The cultural centre also organises a wide range of events – from climate change festivals to concerts, lectures and exhibitions, where your support would be needed particularly for the visibility – taking pictures, videos and managing the Instagram Channel of the organisation.
You would be the first European Solidarity Corps volunteer hosted by Schlachthof. However, the organisation has frequently hosted interns and volunteers on other national and international programmes, and has a number of young trainees on their team.
Curious? Check out their Facebook and Instagram.
Your tasks as a volunteer would include…
In short, what you would be doing is:
- Helping out with the theatre workshops for very young children and youngsters
- Helping with the organisation of bandcamps for older children from different parts of town
- Supporting the media team with their workshops and production of videos in the media club
- Taking part in the editorial team of the magazine issued by the cultural centre (depending on your German language skills and interest of course)
- Take part in the backstage work of events (helping at the ticket and information desk, the logistics behind the scenes, the promotional materials etc.).
- Taking pictures and videos during events and organising the Instagram and other social media visibility
- Coming up with your own ideas for small events, workshops, exhibitions, …
As you can see – there are loads of different areas where you can get involved! Every Monday, you will meet with your primary supervisor to make a plan for the week, regarding which activities are going on in the house, where do you want to join, and what are your longterm plans in terms of own ideas and learning goals.
Don’t worry – you do not need to have prior experience in any of the areas or tasks described above. It is more important that you are motivated and curious to learn.
If you want to find out more, read the newest report from the current volunteer Marina on our Website:
Check out this video of an ex-Volunteer who was in Bremen, Nicola, to find a bit out about what volunteering in Bremen through the European Solidarity Corps is like:
Accommodation, Logistics, Finances
NaturKultur e.V will be the coordinating organisation in charge of all logistical matters.
You will be accommodated in a flat in Bremen with max. 4 other ESC volunteers. You will have your private room.
Bremen is a city in North-West Germany (around 500.000 inhabitants), not far from Hamburg and the North Sea coast. Bremen is a vibrant, multi-cultural city with a lot of young people and both a historical centre and newer areas of towns.
As an ESC volunteer, you will receive health insurance, monthly pocket money for food and other expenses (246€ + 150€). Travel costs will be reimbursed depending on the travel distance (normally between 180-360€).
You will be supported by a Coordinator and a Mentor to help you get settled in your work place and the city of Bremen. You will also receive German language lessons of 1 hour per week (either Beginner level or Advanced Level).
As an ESC volunteer, you will also take part in the On-Arrival and Midterm Trainings, organised for all volunteers in Germany (free of charge for you).
You can apply, if you…
- … are a citizen of an EU country or the Ukraine
- …are vaccinated against COVID 19 (at least two times with an in the EU recognized vaccine)
- … between 18-30 years old (on the day you start your ESC)
- … can communicate in English (A2) and German (A2-B1) and are very motivated to learn more German throughout your ESC
- … are interested in becoming a part of the cultural centre team, working with children and young people, curious to try yourself in photography and social media mangagement and contributing with your own ideas
- … love to be creative and are passionate about making a positive change in society
- … are an open-minded person, motivated to work in a team and with people from different religious, cultural and social backgrounds
If you have any questions, please check out our FAQ section.
If your questions has not been answered – get in touch with Lina: [email protected]
To apply, simply fill out the form below. The more information you give, the easier it will be for us to learn more about you.
(Featured Image Copyright: Kulturzentrum Schlachthof e.V.)