***Call closed*** We will get back to you soon***
Would you like to make other people smile? By volunteering at the Freizeitzentrum at Friedehorst, an organisation that provides leisure activities to people with special needs and illnesses, you can become creative and give your best as a volunteer for 12 months!
Dates: 01.08.2022 – 31.07.2023
Location: Bremen, Germany
Hosting Organisation: Friedehorst
In collaboration with the leisure time centre at Friedehorst, we are looking for one volunteer.
About your hosting organisation and the tasks
Your daily voluntary work will be at Friedehorst, an institution that provides competent help, trusting care and individual support to children, young people and adults. Founded in 1947 on a former barracks site in Lesum, the facility now offers a variety of opportunities and is unique in this form in Northern Germany. With around 1,400 employees who take care of around 2,000 people each year, Friedehorst is one of the largest employers in Bremen-Nord. Their activities span from helping children, to adults and older people.
Your responsibilities include:
- Working with a variety of people: children, youngsters, adults, people with physical dissabilities in the Freizeitzentrum, a centre of leisure activities for the residents of Friedehorst
- Providing small activities for the residents, including own projects on topics that you are interested in
- Assisting the employees of Friedehorst in the implementation of events
- Planning and implementing events together with the other volunteers for the community of Bremen
To get a better idea of what this position entails, you can read Emökes’ 1st Report about their voluntary service.
Our organisation, NaturKultur Bremen e.V., will be the coordinating organisation in charge of all logistical matters.
You will be accommodated in a flat or a house in Bremen with 4 other ESC volunteers. You will have your private bedroom and share the kitchen, bathroom and other spaces in the flat/house with other volunteers.
Bremen is a city in North-West Germany (around 500.000 inhabitants), not far from Hamburg and the North Sea coast. Bremen is a vibrant, multi-cultural city with a lot of young people and both a historical centre and newer areas of towns.
As an ESC volunteer, you will receive health insurance, monthly pocket money for food and other expenses (246€ + 150€).
Travel costs will be reimbursed depending on the travel distance (normally between 180-360€).
You will be supported by a Coordinator and a Mentor to help you get settled in your work place and the city of Bremen. You can also attend our German conversation class of at least 1 hour per week.
But – how is it to volunteer in Bremen?
You can check out our Instagram Account @volunteersofbremen
And if you’d rather watch a video – here’s Nikola’s story, who volunteered in another organisation Bremen in 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMKQLzeO2Fs
You can apply, if you…
- … are a resident of an EU Country (not Germany) / partner country
- … are between 18-30 years old (on the day you start your ESC)
- … have at least A2 level of understanding, speaking and reading German
- … have a high level of motivation, self-development and readiness to work with different age groups
- … have patience and are a positive person, so you can work with people with illnesses and disabilities on a daily basis
In short, this ESC project will give you the opportunity to learn and gain experience in a new professional environment, develop your self-awareness and knowledge about people with different backgrounds, learn more about a new culture and language, find your strengths and interests in an unforgettable, unique 12 months in Bremen!
The European Solidarity Corps is financing the voluntary service. The mission of the ESC is to bring people from different backgrounds together to form a society based on mutual acceptance, solidarity and cohesion.
If you have any further questions, please get in touch with Lina: [email protected]
Sounds like your dream project? Apply below!