***call closed*** Have you ever dreamt about moving abroad and living in a new community, with a different culture? Or have you ever had the desire to work in a fun, outgoing, creative and multinational team with lots of experience in the field of international youth work? Perhaps you’ve been searching for the opportunity to run the social media accounts of an NGO so that you can develop your skills as a social media manager? If any of the above is true for you, then we might have the perfect opportunity for you!
Location: NaturKultur Bremen e.V., Bremen, Germany
Dates: 01.05.2022 – 30.4.2023
Hosting Organisation: NaturKultur Bremen e.V.
Background of the project
In Bremen there are a great many inspirational NGOs that do amazing work for the local community, through many varying activities and methods. They act in solidarity in order to give those with less opportunities the chance to take and active part in their communities and shine. Unfortunately these acts of solidarity are not always recognised to the degree that they perhaps deserve by the wider population, due to lack of social media presence. This project hopes to set about solving this problem by introducing young passionate volunteers into the teams of these NGOs so they can help build up their social media pages and get more recognition, and not only that, but also inspire more people to act in solidarity.
This particular position is hosted by NaturKultur e.V. You can find out more about our team here.
Your hosting organization
We are a youth mobility provider that is focused on international youth work. We organize between 8-10 Youth Exchanges and 2-3 training courses per year, and we are sending young people on many international projects abroad. We are also the coordinating organization for volunteering opportunities. Our office is located in Bremen, but we organize our projects in our KulturHaus in Garlstedt, which is close to Osterholz-Scharmbeck and 30 min by car from Bremen.
Our local and international projects aim to encourage and support young people through non-formal learning opportunities, especially focusing on the topics of interculturalism, tolerance, diversity and understanding among the different cultures in Europe. We are also organizing local events in Bremen and extending our network in the area by cooperating with other organizations and institutions.
Your tasks as a volunteer
You are expected to dedicate 30 hours per week to the following tasks:
- Making interesting posts, blogs and photos about the projects that NaturKultur organizes and in order to show the world how meaningful and fun our projects are
- Writing new articles, stories and news on the NaturKultur website (naturkultur.eu), compiling a Newsletter that we send to our subscribers, managing our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/naturkulturgermany) and Instagram account (@naturkultur_e.v.)
- Managing the “Volunteers of Bremen”(@volunteersofbremen) Instagram account
- Making a plan how our organisation can become even more visible in Bremen
- Creating a data base of different kind of media (newspapers, radio stations, blogs etc.) in our city and establishing and developing cooperation with them, getting in touch with the journalists and so on.
- Supporting the planning of smaller workshops on social media skills for other volunteers.
- Planning and running online campaigns on social issues with your own focus.
- Working together with other volunteers, especially with our volunteer for content creation.
- Initiating own project ideas and activities according to your interests
If you want to know more, you can also check this video and see what we are looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m915_VCJ_MI
Sounds like a lot? Don’t worry! We are not expecting professionals or young people with a degree – it is more important that you are creative, curious and willing to learn!
You will be accommodated in a house just for ESC volunteers in Bremen, where you will have your own room.
Bremen is a city in North-West Germany (around 500.000 inhabitants), close to Hamburg, the border with
Netherlands and the North Sea coast. Bremen is a vibrant, multi-cultural city with a lot of young people and where you can find a historical centre, modern and cultural areas, in a small area.
As an ESC volunteer, you will receive health insurance, 150€ monthly pocket money, 246€ for living expenses. Travel costs will be reimbursed depending on the travel distance (normally between 180€-275€).
You will be supported by a Coordinator, an internal Mentor to help you get settled in your work place, and an external mentor to you get to know the city of Bremen. You will also receive German language lessons together with all volunteers and have access to OLS, the online language learning platform.
You can apply, if you…
- … are from an EU country (not Germany) or citizen of Ukraine.
- … are between 18-30 years old (on the day you start your ESC)
- … are interested in different forms of (social) media and creative
- … have a basic level of understanding, speaking and writing in German, or an interest to learn the language
- … have a good level of understanding, speaking and writing in English
- … have a high level of motivation, desire for self-development and readiness to work with different age groups
- … are an open minded person, motivated to work in a team and with people from different religious, cultural and social backgrounds
- … are pro-active, showing initiative and are able to work independently
To summarise, with this volunteering project we will give you the opportunity to learn and gain experience in a different, and in many ways unique, working environment, to develop your awareness and knowledge about people with different backgrounds from your own, to discover a new culture by being immersed in it and to learn the language of the culture while you’re at it, and perhaps most importantly to find and build on your strengths and interests in a year in Bremen which you will never be able to forget!
Check out this video of an ex-Volunteer who was in Bremen, Nicola, to find a bit out about what volunteering in Bremen through the European Solidarity Corps is like:
What we offer:
- Developing yourself and your skills– If you have basic skills and passion for photography and filming, we will help you learn and develop them even more. You can learn new skills, but also have a platform where you can realize your ideas such as making vlogs, different kind of graphics, making short videos or photos, using drones, GoPros and other equipment
- Opportunity to pursue your passion and ideas -we want you to implement all your ideas and passions into our work. If it is a new project, new video, a new idea for blog or a platform – try something new – get out of your comfort zone because this is how you learn the most.
- Flexible working hours and working environment– as we are not a company and we don’t have concrete office hours, our work is often flexible and revolves around the projects. When we will have a project, you should be there and take photos, videos or write posts and articles. When we don’t have projects, the working week is much calmer. You will manage the social media platforms and work on long-term ideas and projects, either at home or in our small office.
- An opportunity to change the world– as we are change makers, we influence our societies to respect the human rights, we protect our environment and we provide opportunities for young people who don’t have so many. You will be part of this story and contribute to bringing positive change to the world.
- All the equipment that you will need– professional camera and lenses, GoPro and microphones, lights, software, hard drives, drone will be provided for your work. If you have your own laptop, please bring it – otherwise, we can also find a way to organise one for you in Bremen.
Any questions? Please contact Lina at [email protected]
If you would like to apply simply fill out the form below AND create a collage answering the question “What could you contribute to our ESC project?” on Instagram. Show your creativity and do not forget to tag us under the post so that we can see your art @naturkultur_e.v!