*** Call closed ***
If words are your passion and you are keen to develop your writing, editing and photography skills, then this 12 months ESC project in Skopje is perfect for you! Working in an international team on the youth magazine VOICES, you will capture the thoughts, feelings and dreams of young people in North Macedonia and beyond.
Location: Skopje, North Macedonia
Dates: 12 Months starting in October 2020 (We are closely monitoring the travel restrictions regarding Covid-19 and will adjust the dates accordingly)
About the project
Our project, “VOICES to be heard” aims to contribute to the relationships between North Macedonia and Germany through the hosting of two German volunteers for 12 months in Skopje. We want to give young people from both countries the opportunity to work together on the youth magazine VOICES, and thus engage in an exchange of ideas, opinions and experiences on a variety of topics, including human rights, culture, lifestyle and youth. The project is financed by the European Solidarity Corps.
About your hosting organisation
We are building on our partnership with the Volunteers Centre of Skopje, an organisation that has hosted many volunteers over the years and does amazing youth work in the capital city of North Macedonia.
Perhaps you are wondering how Covid-19 changed the ways in which the Volunteers Centre is working – here you can read their most recent statement.
Tasks of the volunteers
As a volunteer on this project, you would mainly work on:
- Creating content for the youth magazine VOICES, such as articles, interviews, photographs and other things
- Involvement in the preparation and implementation of educational courses, workshops and exchanges with VCS
- Organising activities involving children with fewer opportunities (homeless children, Roma children, and others) in educational and fun activities
- Promoting volunteering, Erasmus+ and ESC opportunities for young people at schools and events, to inform the Macedonian youth about these topics
- Planning your own projects and events according to your interests
Training and Mentoring
Don’t worry – you don’t have to be a perfect writer or skilled photographer if you want to apply for this ESC. It is much more important that you are motivated to learn and curious to step into journalism for 12 months. In the beginning of your stay, the VCS team will give you basic training in the programmes and strategies used for researching, designing and writing the content for the magazine.
You will also have the chance to participate in the On-Arrival and Mid-term trainings organised for all ESC volunteers in the region. A great chance to reflect, connect and plan your ESC journey throughout the year.
Once a week, you will meet with your coordinator and mentor to plan your volunteering hours, discuss your learning and anything you might need.
You will also receive a basic language course in Macedonian to help you integrate in the community of Skopje.
Accommodation, Logistics and Finances
Your accommodation will be paid for and organised by VCS. You will be hosted in one of the flats of VCS, both of them are in «Kisela Voda», really close to the VCS office with a view to the mountain Vodno. You will have your own room, but you will share the bathroom, kitchen and living room (and balcony) with your fellow volunteers.
The flats are located at 15 min from city center by walk. Train and bus station is also near, around 15 min walk. In the flat you can find all necessary things, as kitchen equipment, blankets, bed clothes, towels, WiFi etc.
You will receive 190€ per month for food and as pocket money.
Travel costs will be reimbursed for up to 275€.
VCS and NaturKultur Bremen e.V. will support you in the process of getting a visa and residence permit, and the costs for obtaining the visa as well as travelling to the embassy will be covered.
As the ESC is a recognised voluntary service, you may be entitled to receive Kindergeld (German state support money for children) depending on your age.
If you have any other questions, just get in touch with Irma: [email protected]
Who can apply?
You can apply for this ESC position, if …
- You are between 18-30 years old
- You are currently living in Germany
- You have at least basic skills in speaking and understanding English and are curious to learn Macedonian
- You are interested in media and journalism – no experience required!
- You would love to work with children and young people
- You are open to live and work with young people of different backgrounds
Thank you for your application, this call has been closed!
Images Copyright: Mathis Gilsbach